Soon you’ll be packing away all the winter clothing and heavy shoe collection. In the coming days we can look forward to lighter meals and light-weight layers. Get ahead of your meal planning for the warmer days and give this super flavorful Greek chopped salad with chickpeas a try. It’s a modern spin to the traditional classic Greek salad.
The chickpeas in the recipe makes it perfect for vegans and vegetarians looking to increase their protein intake and a great substitute for a healthy meal.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 5 ounces chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 medium or 2 small heads, chopped)
- 1 cucumber seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 small red onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives or more
- 1/2 can (14 oz) chickpeas washed and drained or more
- 3 ounces feta cheese, sliced into ¼” cubes (about 3/4 cup) * Can be omitted for a dairy-free, vegan friendly version.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes optional*
- Combine the chopped lettuce, onions, peppers, cucumbers, olives, chickpeas, parsley and feta. Toss the ingredients together and set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a liquid measuring cup. Whisk until blended. Adjust the acidity or sweetness to your liking.
- Whisk the dressing before pouring over the salad just before serving. Make sure to lightly coat the salad to avoid weighing it down. (Side note: If the salad won’t be eaten all at once, set aside a portion without dressing and store in the refrigerator.) The vinaigrette stores well for a few days (it will solidify) not to worry-just leave it out for several minutes at room temperature and it will liquefy.
Yields: 1 large salad, 2 medium salads or 4 small side salads
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Hope you’ll give this delicious recipe a try, this spring and summer approaching. Would love to hear your thoughts!